Schoolies officially start for Victorian students from Nov 25th so here are some tips for enjoying yourself, looking after yourself and each other, and starting 2018 in a healthy way!
- Take your ID & keep your ID and personal belongings safe.
- Everyone has different response to alcohol—with different body types, what they have eaten or not, who they are with, where they are—make YOUR choice and not what someone else does or says.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Fuel your body with good foods. Eat before drinking alcohol.
- Watch your drinks—don’t leave them unattended.
- Walk in groups.
- Help your friends stay away from risky situations.
- Avoid violence—walk away.
- Have a plan of how to get home/get back to your accommodation.
- Beware of Toolies – older people who party crash and try to be your friend but aren’t.
- Have times to rest up and sleep when away.
- Call 000 in an emergency.
- Not sure if it is an emergency or what to do for a friend who is unwell/passed out after drinking and/or maybe taken drugs? Ring 000 for an ambulance—let the paramedics check out your friend and keep your friend safe.
- If you do take drugs, tell a friend what it is and how much—it is easier for a paramedic to help you if they know what you have taken.
- Consent and sex. Only yes means yes. Mixing sex and alcohol/drugs can make consent complicated.
- If you have sex without contraception or had problems with missed pills or a broken condom, you can obtain emergency contraception (also called the morning after pill) from a pharmacy without a prescription. Some pharmacies charge higher prices for the morning after pill due to the demand, so be prepared for higher costs to buy them during Schoolies. Despite it being called the ‘morning after pill’, you do not need to take it in the morning. It is most effective within 24 hours, but it can work well when taken within 96 hours after unprotected sex.
- Is it time for a sexual health check-up? Free and confidential service for males and females is available at Bendigo Community Health Services at 171 Hargreaves St or 3 Seymour St Eaglehawk. No cost and no referral needed. Phone 5448 1600
- Look out for the Red Frogs if you are attending Schoolies events in
*Lorne, Torquay, Phillip Island or Rye in Victoria
*Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast in Qld
*Bryon Bay in NSW
The Red Frogs are volunteers (over 1500 of them!) there to help you out at all hours of the day and night if you need them. You can Follow the Frog on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter or download the app.
- Enjoy your time away and look after yourself and your health!