Get into Omega-3!
Omega-3 has so many wonderful health benefits. Yet 80% of Australians don’t get anywhere near enough. Is that you?
What is Omega-3?
Omega-3s are a family of essential fatty acids. That ‘essential’ is an important point: they are essential to health and normal function of the body and brain.
Our body can’t produce them on its own; we can only get them from what we eat.
Why do we NEED Omega-3?
- To reduce depression and anxiety. Many doctors are now prescribing an omega -3 supplement—and are seeing great results.
- They have been proven to decrease violent behaviour.
- They can improve attention span and task completion for people with ADHD.
- They prevent macular degeneration, an eye disorder that causes blindness
- They improve heart health. (Did you know that stroke and heart attack are the world’s biggest killers?)
- They protect us against some cancers.
If that’s not enough, for those of you who are interested in building muscles, consider this:
If you consume adequate Omega-3s for just three weeks you are likely to see an increase of nearly a kilogram of lean muscle—even if you make no other change to your diet!
Ok, how can you add them to your diet?
- Have Salmon for lunch or dinner (tinned is fine)
- Sprinkle Flaxseed –as a seed or as an oil (available in the health section in all supermarkets) or Hemp seeds on your breakfast cereal, in your smoothie, or over your salad or vegies. You can even add it to your coffee
- Have anchovies on your pizza
- Have a handful of walnuts as a daily snack (carry them around in your school bag so you can quickly grab them if you get hungry)
- Have avocado for breakfast, lunch, snack or dinner- if you don’t like the taste, eat it anyway, Avocado may be an acquired taste—but it is well worth the effort.
For more information on the truly incredible Omega-3s have a look at this very informative clip: