NETschool Bendigo re-engages young people, aged 15 to 19 years, who have left or are at risk of leaving mainstream schooling but want to achieve their Senior School Certificate.
NETschool’s success is built on three core values of TRUST, OPTIMISM and COMMITMENT. These values underpin everything that we do. We actively listen, accept differences, support each individual’s needs, negotiate and encourage, and respect each other and ourselves.
Is NETschool for me?
- I am 15 to 19 years of age
- I have dropped-out of school, or I am enrolled at a school but I don’t believe that I can stay at school to complete Year 12
- I have stable accomodation or I am being supported by an agency to get secure accommodation
- I have a good, stable relationship with a supportive adult (e.g. parent, aunt, uncle, youth worker, etc.)
- I am not violent
- I am linked in, or I want to link-in, with a caseworker, or doctor, mental health specialist, etc.
- If using drugs – I have evidence that I am committed to minimise use or get clean, e.g. I am linked in with YSAS, etc.
- I want to take responsibility for my thoughts and actions so I can make positive change in my life…I am not applying to NETschool to comply with CentreLink requirements.
- I will uphold the values of Trust, Optimism, and Commitment.
How will NETschool support me?
NETschool provides a highly individualised program: Firstly, we strive to support each Learners’ wellbeing, followed by his or her readiness to learn. Then we provide access to formal studies in line with each Learner’s individual needs. Along the way NETschool Learners develop the resilience to confidently participate in a wide range of activities and social contexts. Learners also develop confidence in their ability to learn on their own and as part of a collaborative team. This leads to sustainable peronal growth: our goal is for every Learner to move forward from NETschool to happily participate in mainstream education, skilled employment or further training.
New Learners to the program have two options for re-engaging: Centre-based Learning, and Progression Learning (see below). Most Learners are able to attend NETschool 4-days or more each week: these Learners participate in the ‘Centre-based Learning’ program every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:50AM to 3:30PM. There are no Study-spares at NETschool, so Wednesdays are available for Centre-based Learners to undertake Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses, attend medical appointments, and/or do work placements, etc. The personal circumstances of some Learners, however, only allows them to attend the Centre once or twice each week. These Learners participate in the ‘Progression Learning’ program: they are striving to develop the realtional skills and resilience to progress into the Centre-based Learning program or onward to skilled employment or further education or training.
Academic success for all Learners is made possible because they attend the NETschool Centre. At the Centre, Learners receive specialised individual support from our highly skilled and committed team of Mentors and specialist teachers who attend the Centre from Bendigo Senior Secondary College (BSSC).
NETschool Bendigo is a second campus of Bendigo Senior Secondary College, located at 26 Williamson Street.