The Library’s purpose is to use its expertise in the discovery, acquisition, management and delivery of information resources to participate in the development and delivery of effective learning, teaching, understanding and research.
The library has different types of learning spaces. There are two classrooms (with interactive white boards), two quiet group study areas, as well as private study carrels. The students are provided with daily newspapers as well as magazines for their enjoyment. An archive of newspaper articles featuring BSSC community members is maintained and book-listed books have been made available for period loan. Desktops and laptops are provided for student use as well as a number of other audio visual equipment.
- To provide and furnish a flexible, functional, safe, technology-equipped library research space to allow for quality learning experiences for all students
- To accommodate and exploit digital technology to provide convenient and equitable access to materials in all formats
- To integrate library resources and services to maximise support for initiatives, teaching, learning and research within and beyond the classroom
- To develop and maintain policies and programs that support high level performance, motivation and the diversity of the school community
- To collaborate with teachers to plan and implement literacy and literature programs that result in positive learning outcomes and fosters a confident reading culture
- To assist learners to develop independence, interdependence and self-motivation within themselves to become lifelong learners
- Present information sessions on library facilities, website usage, research techniques and referencing documents
- Keep up-to-date with new initiatives such as e5 and POLT, as well as Web 2.0 technologies
- Provide students with relevant and current materials
- Ensure a self-directed learning environment within the library
- Assist staff both within their classrooms and in the library
- Organise displays for International students, Student Council and new books as well as providing magazines and brochures of interest to students
- Keep up-to-date displays for Sport, Student News, Careers and Health.